Saturday, June 15, 2013

When in Florida

I forgot to mention that when I was in Florida, I got to see 'Miss Margie,' the lady who helped me learn to read.


Some of you know I have dyslexia--and a pretty severe form of it.  Because of my dyslexia, I had to receive intense language therapy when I was about 9 - 11 years old. My therapist's name was 'Miss Margie' (Or so I called her), and after I was done with therapy, I didn't see her again until last month.  The first time in 11 years, and. . .

I got to give her Precisely Terminated, the first novel I had had published.  It was pretty cool, since she has seen me go from not reading at all to reading fluently under her tutelage and now she got to have a copy of the book I wrote.

It was great seeing her again, and I hope it encouraged her to keep teaching--she's still been doing language therapy after so long, and I'm glad. She's a great teacher, and I don't know if I would be where I am today without her help.  

Dyslexia and other intellectual learning disabilities come  in many forms and severity, but I'm glad there are people like Miss Margie out there to help those of us who have them to overcome and be victorious. 

1 comment:

  1. That's so cool that you got to give her your book! What an encouragement!
    My grade one teacher was the one who taught me how to write stories, and I promised her back then that I would dedicate my first novel to her. I'm looking forward to the day I can hand her a copy. :)
    -Tracey

    ReplyDelete