Friday, August 31, 2012

Hannah's Project Finished

Remember that project Hannah was working on a few days ago?

She finished!

She really likes Doctor Who, so there are plenty of references to the show on this little shelf.

And cats, she likes those, too.

Don't know where this little guy below came from.

She painted it completely on her own -- I had nothing to do with that.   It's hanging above her bed now in our room.  I think it looks pretty good.

We haven't had time to make anything else recently -- too busy getting ready to go on the upcoming Canada tour my dad and I are going on.

Thursday, August 30, 2012

New Roof!

The roofers showed up!

 And so did this.

Giant hound dog who wanted to adopt us.

But he was huge and stinky and slobbery and we already have a dog, so we said no.  He followed my parents home on their walk, and they took him back to his house ( in the car) once they got home.

On to the roof!

That plywood there leaning against the house was put there to protect the watermelon plant that's there.   That plywood was in our garage for a project of ours.  Oh well. They'll give it back.

Ripping off the shingles.

It seems to be coming along well.

They're working on only two sections of the roof today. They don't want to uncover the whole thing and then have it rain!

On the plus side, it's been pretty cool, so it's not too hot up there for them!

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Another Project and The Deck

And a quick break from the chaos in the kitchen.

I stopped to make this.

A 12 foot long planter box for red raspberries.

Hannah painted it, I built it. My mom had been asking for one, and I didn't have time that day to teach Hannah (Youngest sister), so I just went ahead and made it myself.

Oh, and put up a trellis for the climbing roses on the back deck.

Ta da.

What did you do today?

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Cleaning Up

Our house is back to some semblance of liveable space after the major upheaval, but no, we're nowhere near done!

Still cluttered, too

Boxes of Debris and the fridge moved from its spot (It caused this whole problem in the first place. Bad fridge.)

Trailer all loaded up with tile and other flooring mess.

And while we were working on that, this stuff showed up!

That's roofing material, if you were wondering.

Yeah, at the same time the kitchen floor stuff is going on, we're getting a new roof!

Fortunately, the insurance company is paying for that, 'cause otherwise we'd be in trouble.

 They just delivered the stuff this day, the workers won't come out for another week.

Lots of pounding will be going on here!  Pounding on tiles and pounding on the roof!

Monday, August 27, 2012

Rippin' up Tiles

We're moving ahead with the ripping up of the floor.

This will be a long, long arduous process, so bear with me.  I'm not having any more fun ripping it up than you are reading about it. :)

We've gotten about 10 boxes of debris so far. Here are just a few of them.

After a good hard evening's work.

I made muddie buddies (Also known as puppy chow)

We hard workers deserve it, don't you think?

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Moving Furniture

With the leak discovered we have a lot of work to do to fix it.

 The very first thing we have to do is cause a wreck of our house by rearranging our furniture and moving things so we can still eat and cook and tear up the kitchen at the same time.

Moved all the furniture from this wall (The fridge is against this wall on the otherside)

We have to move the fridge out of this corner  and somewhere we could still access it.  It is very heavy

Everything is in a jumble =(

Once every thing is moved we start demolition!
FFirst the tiles have to come off then below them is a 1/2 inch thick concrete board then linoleum.  All of it has to be ripped up!

It's very difficult.

Red helped for a bit, but my dad and I did most of it.

We got this done in one evening. 2/3 of the kitchen to go.  Whew

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Major Problem

Over the past few weeks we've been noticing the tile in our kitchen developing cracks.

We weren't sure why. We thought we were just being clumsy and dropping things.

But more cracks were appearing. And no one was dropping anything

So then we then we thought maybe the house was settling a bit, since it's on a crawlspace with no concrete pad.  You know. Normal stuff.

Then one of the tiles started growing stuff.  Ew

Tha's not good.  And pretty gross, too.

So we crawled under the house only to discover a disaster.

inch deep puddle on the crawlspace floor

Water and mold everywhere!

Apparently, the line feeding into our fridge got a leak and instead of pouring out onto the floor where we would notice it, it seeped under the wall and under the tiles and into the subflooring where we wouldn't detect it.  This went on for about 2 weeks without us knowing about it.


Now we have to rip up the tile to let the subfloor dry out and spray everything with an antimold treatment, then replace the floor. We might also have to replace a cabinet that got soaked, too. It could be very expensive, and we're probably going to have to do it ourselves.